Tuesday, June 5, 2012

John Coltrane's Alabama - A Eulogy

Every note John Coltrane played resonated with understanding of the human condition. He wrote “Alabama” following the 1963 Birmingham church bombing that killed 4 little girls. It is patterned upon the rhythms of Martin Luther King’s funeral eulogy in their honor. It is presented here, once again, in honor of all the victims of hatred and violence in your land and mine.



Last night, about 90 minutes after the capture of the second Marathon bombing suspect, I was driving along Boylston Street, about a mile from the finish line.
I came upon a throng of people, perhaps 300 in number, (update: new reports placed this as 1,000) college age kids, who had poured into the street in celebration. I was behind perhaps a dozen other cars and unable to drive through. They were cheering and chanting, "U-S-A".  At first, I thought they might have been applauding police officers returning from Watertown, but there were none in sight. Some were hoisting drinks. Others were running up to cars and pounding on the windows. I sat there for nearly 10 minutes before I was able to inch through and be on my way. While I waited, I appreciated the joy and youthful enthusiasm as well as the satisfaction and relief at the capture,  but, at the same time, found myself angered and saddened and hoping that after the party, we all remember to share a tear for the victims. April 19, 2013





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing