Thursday, January 17, 2013

Deep In the Elderly Heart Where the Wild Things Grew

"I wish you all good things. Live your life, live your life, live your life." - Maurice Sednak



Shortly before he died in May, 2012 Maurice Sednak, celebrated author of genre breaking children's books including, most famously, Where The Wild Things Are, did an interview with Terry Gross on NPR.
In it, he revealed himself as a warm, gentle and wise man at peace with his life and imminent death.

My dear friend, Lucky, shared this with me and I was so moved that I wanted to share it with you.

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/01/03/terry-gross-maurice-sendak-christoph-niemann/

"It is a blessing to get old.  It is a blessing to find the time to do the things, to read the books, to listen to the music. You know, I don’t think I’m rationalizing anything.  I really don’t. This is all inevitable and I have no control over it."

"I have nothing now but praise for my life. I'm not unhappy. I cry a lot because I miss people. They die and I can't stop them. They leave me and I love them more. ... What I dread is the isolation. ... There are so many beautiful things in the world which I will have to leave when I die, but I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready."

"I wish you all good things. Live your life, live your life, live your life."











2 comments:

Lea said...

Oh~that is a wonderful reminder Harold ~

Abigail said...

How beautiful.