Monday, June 17, 2013

Captain Kangaroo and the Real Great Adventures of Tom Terriffic!

Bob Keegan was the original Clarabelle the Clown on The Howdie Doodie Show before expanding his art and reinventing himself as Captain Kangaroo.
The Lineup from left to right:
Dancing Bear, Mr. Moose, Mr. Greenjeans, Mr. Bunny and Captain Kangaroo

Keegan played the Captain from 1955 to 1984. Legend (ok, Wikipedia) has it that when the show began, young Bob wore makeup to look more grandfatherly but that, by the end of the run, Ol' Bob wore makeup to look less encrypted. And no, according to all available evidence, he never eloped with Eddie Haskell.

Captain Kangaroo opening theme

The Captain teases Mr. Green Jeans
Opening theme in 1955 and 1980's update
Tom Terrific and Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog


Terrytoons presents:
The real, great adventures of me, Tom Terrific! I'm Tom Terrific,
with Mighty Manfred, the Wonder Dog!
Teeeeeee-Rif-ic!
I'm Tom Terrific, greatest hero ever!
Terrific is the name for me, 'cause I'm so clever.
I can be what I want to be, and if you'd like to see,
Follow, and follow me! If you see a plane up-high,
A diesel train go roaring by.
A bumble bee, or a tree, it's me! When there is trouble,
I'm there on the double.
From the Atlantic to the Pacific,
They know Tom Terrific! Aaand, I'm Mighty Manfred, the Wonder dog,
Aaand Tom's ever faithful companion.
Crabby Appleton's theme song:
My name is Crabby Appleton,
and I am simply awful.
It does my heart a lot of good
to do a deed unlawful!
I'm fond of gloom, impending doom,
I think good deeds are sappy!
I laugh with glee, it pleases me
when everyone's unhappy.

No comments: