Friday, November 22, 2013

Johnny Too Bad - A Tribute to John Martyn

Although he had a sizeable following in Great Britain, John Martyn (1948-2009) wasn't particularly famous, never had a hit record, was enormously self-destructive (hence the nickname, "Johnny Too Bad") and died largely unknown in the States. But he was also a great talent with a unique style who stood shoulder to shoulder with any rock guitar god you can name. And when he met the devil, the devil knew his name. 




John Martyn solos with just his guitar, echoeplex and wah-wah.

May You Never
May You Never was a hit for Eric Clapton, but Slowhand couldn't begin to touch the emotional resonance of JM's original version.
Inspirational Verse: "May you never lay your head down without a hand to hold, may you never make your bed out in the cold". 


Solid Air -1978
His most widely known composition, written for friend, the legendary and doomed folk singer Nick Drake. 
Inspirational Verse: "I know you. I love you. I can be your friend, I can follow you even through Solid Air"

Solid Air (Album version)

Bless the Weather
Inspirational Verse: "Bless the Weather that brought you to me, 
curse the storm that takes you away". 

You Can Discover

I'd Rather Be the Devil
Adapted from a Skip James song. 
Inspirational Verse:
"The Woman I love, stole her from my best friend, 
but I know he'll get lucky and steal her back".


One World - 1978
"Some of us live like princes, some of us live like queens, 
most of us live just like me and don't know what it means
to make our way in one world, to make our peace in one world".

One Day Without You (and I feel a hole just heart just where my heart should be)


Couldn't Love You More


Sweet Certain Surprise
Johnny Too Bad - 1981

John Wayne - 1984
Inspirational Verse: "I'm JohnWayne; Drink Your Milk!"

Man In the Station - 1992

Over the Rainbow - 1986
Singing In the Rain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what about his famous Clark concerts !!!!