Monday, March 18, 2019

A Challenge to The Trumpets

June 8, 2016
I challenge you. 


I challenge every single one of you who support the candidacy of Donald Trump to become President of the United States - tell me why.

I have tried repeatedly throughout the primary campaign, to engage anyone who supports the presumptive Republican party nominee in a dialogue to share our respective reasons for supporting either party's nominee.  


I understand that some are silent because their own distaste for the tawdry spectacle Trump’s candidacy presents. Millions support him bit I have not heard one single person make an affirmative case on his behalf.


Now that the stage is set for the final campaign, I ask you– any of you - to share a single thoughtful reason to support this candidate. Reasons that extend beyond “Anyone but Hillary”, “He Tells It Like It Is” and, “Make America Great Again." Those are platitudes fit for bumper stickers, not reasons. 


So, I ask you. Your party nominated him. Will you stand by your man? Do you you champion your candidate? Then make the case for him. Otherwise, denounce and reject him. But don’t stand silent. 


Without a compelling counter rationale, I draw my own conclusion that the nomination of Donald Trump is the culmination of decades of divisiveness and bigotry the Republican party has fostered since the inception of Richard Nixon’s southern strategy nearly 50 years ago. You reap what you sow. 


I challenge you.

No comments: