Wednesday, May 27, 2020

One leaf at a time

One year ago, as he prepared to graduate from college, my son, Jack the Younger, (also known as "That Guy" not to be confused with "The Other One", AJ the Elder), sat me down for a chat to discuss his career plans.  




He told me he was going to start his own business as an urban farmer using a two-pronged approach: 1) growing fresh, local, hydroponic greens for distribution to schools, residential group homes, senior centers, and food banks; and 2) design and implement an educational curriculum to teach students, from grammar through high school, to grow their own. 

That sounded suspiciously like science, which meant it went over my head pretty quickly so I asked for the bumper sticker summary. His response, "I'm going to help feed the world one leaf at a time."

Not that I ever doubted him (I do have smart children), but the parental obligations handbook required that I ask where he expected to be in two years. 

His response, "Welp. (Yeah, we all talk like that), the way I see it, I'm 22 now. In two years, I've got a great chance to be 24 and a better chance to know what I'm doing." 

Welp. 

That earned my blessing. One year later as he prepares for his first pod cast appearance, that boy is way ahead of schedule.  

I can't help it if I'm lucky. 

This is the story so far.  

https://www.freightfarms.com/blog/campus-farm-to-farming-career

    









Hey! You can't fool me! That's Daddy's Big Boy, and Jack's biggest fan, the A-Man!   
Hiya A!  Love much!








1 comment:

Martha Dawkins said...

I can feel your pride as your sons choice to make a difference. So much respect to them and you. I applaud their new venture!πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ˜‘