Tuesday, September 4, 2012

In gratitude to and appreciation of President and Mrs. Obama

Update: Nearly four years ago, I watched Michelle Obama deliver a speech to the Democratic National Convention. I was so impressed and so filled with high spirits that I posted the speech here and included a cheeky joke about wanting to steal the President's "gal". Today, I wish to withdraw that joke. 



Last night, I watched and again was mesmerized as Mrs. Obama delivered her final convention address as our First Lady. 



I am at a loss of words for anything beyond the trite and trivial to describe what she and the President have given us. 

They have truly risen above the unrelenting, unreasoning and savage criticism directed at them because of their race, religion, values, looks and even, in the President's case, the man's very name, and have represented us with unfailing grace, style, dignity and courage. 


Never once have they responded in kind to the cruel jibes directed at them. Never once have they brought the Presidency or his administration into disrepute. Never once has there been a hint of scandal. Never once have they been anything other than exemplary role models as parents and citizens. 

In retrospect, the only thing that I have ever written about either of them that I regret is an innocuous joke that I now wish to withdraw. I no longer wish to "steal" Mrs. Obama from President Barack Obama. He is the only one who truly deserves her. 

What a fine and lovely family; what a magnificent couple. 

Thank you both.

July 26, 2016 


......................................................................................................................................

Last week I watched and listened to the launching of Anne Romney, the Ice Queen,  as she declaimed from on high, "I love you women!" Tonight, I watched and listened to the First Lady, Michelle Obama. speak as one of us, with warmth, compassion and a heart full of soul. Each to his own, but for me, I wanna K.O. Barry O. and steal his gal! September 4, 2012.


Michelle Obama addresses the Democratic National Convention, 2012. 




Michelle Obama addresses the Democratic National Convention - 2008 


No comments: