Tuesday, September 18, 2018

I once got lost but now I'm found

Many moons ago, in a land I used to know, there arose a blight.


Some took (figurative) arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing, sought to end them.





Once upon a time, I enjoyed Facebook.

I read, wrote and posted with friends old and new, near and far, to inform and entertain. I shared jokes, poems, loony tunes and plenty of ideas, many silly, a few, perhaps, profound and nearly always, with a sense of fun.

Real life joys and sorrows were met with compassion and understanding; ruffled feathers could always be soothed.

Then came Trump.

A parasitic, grotesque soul crushing thug whose singular talent is sucking faith from the heart of humanity.

I had despised him for many years and was so offended by his appearance and performance in the primaries that I decided to make defeating him my personal raison d'etre.

Beginning with the first primaries, I began reaching out to his supporters, searching for one of them who could provide me with a reasoned, cogent argument in support of his candidacy without resorting to bumper sticker bromides like, "Make America Great Again."

Throughout the primaries, the campaign and beond, I have had many exchanges with Trumpeters. I gave all who commented a full reading and in most instances, a considered response.

I responded to the apocalyptic vision of his born again Christian supporters warning of the coming Armageddon from which only their leader could save US by reading the entire Book of Daniel*

* Before you read it too, wait for the movie. It's sure to be less bloody.

My search for dialogue was quixotic and in vain. Rather than engendering reasoned exchanges,I was repeatedly reviled, insulted and threatened. I had my computer interfered with and my blog blocked (and unblocked) from viewing in Russia. That intrusion continues to date.

I never imagined this perversion of a human being would win the election, ascend to the highest office in this land of yours and mine, or that I would remain engaged in this conflict for so long.

Every single morning, I sit before the keyboard searching for new ways to express my complete and utter revulsion at the vile specter of this thug in the White House. Every day, he hands me something that so shocks common decency that I am forced to express my revulsion.

I have exhausted my store of adjectives to describe this deplorable, contemptible human being.

I have written nothing new or pleasurable in months. I have repeated posts far too often for even my own enjoyment. (As Dylan Thomas once remarked after pontificating at length, "Someone is boring me. I think it is me".)

I have hated every single minute of it.

I cannot express my feelings better than I did last November, in my closing argument in support of Hillary Clinton's candidacy, when I wrote the following of her opponent:

"Donald J. Trump, is a "to the manor born", self-promoting, over-compensating huckster lacking a single altruistic impulse, with the heart of a grifter and the soul of a pimp. He is a man lacking any moral compass or coherent ideology, who has consistently demonstrated an unpredictable and unstable nature with a borderline personality featuring arrested development, full blown narcissism and delusions of grandeur and paranoia. His bigotry and hatred for others, and his hostile and abusive attitude to women in particular has been manifest throughout his lifetime. He lacks any cogent policy plan, is ignorant of basic civics and lacks any understanding of how to govern. Throughout this campaign, he has unleashed venomous rhetoric with a reckless, pathological disregard for the truth that has inflamed civil rhetoric and poisoned civil discourse. This man is the single most vile, vulgar, vengeful public figure and dangerous demagogue of our lifetimes. He deserves to be roundly rejected by US all, given the public beating and humiliation he has so richly deserved his entire life and allowed to slink back to his gilded palace to whine about how he was cheated again. "

I really have nothing more to say. 

Silence in the face of tyranny, injustice and, on the most base level, bullying, is not my thing.

The time has come for me to restore a measure of balance to my own life by returning to things I truly value, rather than this steady stream of  invective. 

If I know me (and I do), I won't be able to resist responding to the daily outrages visited upon US by this hideous monstrosity. 

From now on, I will try to limit myself to expectorating only when I must, and move on, confident that Our Collective Outrage will grow unabated without my routine, and increasingly wearisome, input. 

I trust no one reading these words comes away believing I am retreating from the Trump Wars. I don't do that. 

But I am fearful of losing touch with the comedy in my soul, aware I am neglecting other obligations, and wary of having my own humanity diminished by the constant spewing of negativity. 

The fuse to the demolition of the House of Trump has been lit. The paterfamilias, Daddy Warbucks, struck the match. 

I do not expect this saga to end well or soon for any of US. I anticipate a long and dirty fight taking everyone involved into the gutter. But it will end and, with it, the usurpation and final humiliation of the entire corrupt Trump regime. At the least, it is a resolution devoutly to be wished.   

When it does, I will be there to tromp on the ruins. For the time being, I will be trying to stand back from the fray a wee bit more often and simply enjoy the tawdry spectacle of the impending implosion. 

I am proud to stand on the ramparts alongside each of you with the courage and fortitude to speak out against this repression. 

I regret those who remain silent in the face of this affront to mankind and hope you raise your voices and join US.  

To those who support this evil man, at last, I have nothing more to say. 

If anyone of you feels the need to enlist my voice in the struggle, give me a shout and I will be there.

Until then, never forget that there is always a triddlee-dee-dee and chuckle around the corner waiting for you and me. 

No one wins unless we all win. 

Adios.   

HL 5/10/17

1 comment:

abiatsea said...

So wonderful, so Harold.