Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mitt hits the Etch-a-Sketch button one more time (Yawn)

Previously on Mitt the Willow:
Asked if he was concerned Romney might alienate general election voters with some of the hard-right positions taken during the primary to appeal to conservatives, Romney Communications Director, Eric Fehrnstrom, said, "Well, I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign. Everything changes. It’s almost like an Etch-a-Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and restart all of over again." March 22, 2012
Now, I am willing to concede that candidates routinely moderate positions while moving through campaigns and that Fehrnstrom may have been referring to changes in strategy, donor bases and even (oops!) staff, but gosh and golly gee, could there have been a more poorly conceived, inept, untimely and foolish metaphor for a candidate of whom even that noted bastion of conservative piety, Britt Hume, has observed, "you're only allowed so many flips before people question your character." HL March, 2012

The Sketch: "If I’m the godfather of this thing, then it gives me the right to kill it. And if I’m the president, I will get rid of Obamacare. I will stop it in its tracks on Day One, and get it repealed." Mitt Romney, Over and over and over again. 
The Etch: "I said we're going to replace Obamacare and I'm replacing it with my own plan. And even in Massachusetts when I was governor, our plan there deals with pre-existing conditions and with young people." Romney, September 9, 2012 





Which brings us to last week's episode:
THE SHAKEUP"I have experience in health care reform. Now and then the president says I'm the grandfather of Obamacare. I don't think he meant that as a compliment but I'll take it. This was during my primary, we thought it might not be helpful". September 21, 2012

As the campaign deepens and the election looms, Mitt the Willow continues to come into focus as a man without a true ideological center, someone who will say whatever is expedient to get elected before he figures out what he wants to do or bothers to tell us what that might be. 
To be continued again, I'm sure ... 

Well, whatd'ya know? Yesterday, His Willowness pointed to the health care reform law enacted during his "just  passing through on my way to the White House and I need a piece of signature legislation to brag about" tenure as Governor of Massachusetts, as proof of his empathy and care for the American people.
In an interview with NBC News, he was asked how he could prove he understands the lives and tribulations of middle class Americans. The Willow bowed deeply and said, "I think throughout this campaign as well, we talked about my record in Massachusetts, don't forget -- I got everybody in my state insured. ' 'One hundred percent of the kids in our state had health insurance. I don't think there's anything that shows more empathy and care about the people of this country than that kind of record."
Well, now we know. You (helped) pass a law that you then disavowed and now want to embrace. The Tea Party must be so pleased. Shake it up, baby. Etch-a-Sketch ...Shake it up, baby! September 27, 2012




No comments: