Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Esperanza Spalding is simply too great a talent to ignore.

Esperanza Spalding shares William Blake's "Fly", strolls with Stevie Wonder through Johnny Mercer's "Midnight Sun" and walks in Wayner Shorter's "Footprints", all the while proving that she is simply too great a talent to ignore. 


This piece sets music to the William Blake poem, The Fly.
The Fly by William Blake (1757-1827)

Little fly, 
Thy summer’s play
My thoughtless hand
Has brushed away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink and sing,
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength and breath,
And the want
Of thought is death,

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die.

Stevie Wonder joins Esperanza in the Midnight Sun 
Your lips were like a red ruby chalice
warmer than a summer night
The clouds were like an alabaster palace
rising to a snowy height
Each star its own aurora borealis
Suddenly you held me tight
I could see the Midnight Sun.

Footprints with Wayne Shorter




No comments: