Monday, March 12, 2012

Dustin Hoffman and John Malkovich in Death of a Salesman

Recently, I was reminded that if I had any hope of revisiting books I have loved, or ever reading some of the many I missed, it was time to start turning the pages.  Fortunately, in this age, there are so many more ways to do that beyond seeking out lost or dusty tomes.  Some of these are even more illuminating than what my pedestrian imagination could have conjured.

In this heartbreaking clip from The Death of a Salesman, Dustin Hoffman and John Malkovich tear open the soul of the text and force us to confront the terrible underside of the heart of the American Dream.



"I don't say he's a great man. Willie Loman never made a lot of money. His name was never in the paper. He's not the finest character that ever lived. But he's a human being, and a terrible thing is happening to him. So attention must be paid. He's not to be allowed to fall in his grave like an old dog. Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a person." - Arthur Miller, Death of a Salesman, Act 1

1 comment:

Jerry Murrel said...

Volker Schlondorff's adaptation of "Death of a Saleman" was probably the finest two hours of television in 1985. Dustin Hoffman and John Malkovich turned in brilliant performances. I have this on VHS tape; it's been years since I've seen it. I found the film to be deeply moving, and it's been a pleasure to revisit it here on Harold Levine's blog.

-Jerry Murrel