Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss. Thank you for the places we've gone.

A selection of my favorite Seussisms



“In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!”

“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”

“If I were invited to a dinner party with my characters, I wouldn't show up.”

Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen Hard. Practice wellness. Play with abondon. Laugh. Choose with no regrets. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is”

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

“I do not like green eggs and ham I do not like them Sam-I-Am.”

"And today the Great Yertle, that Marvelous he
Is King of the Mud. That is all he can see."

“I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.”

“And the turtles, of course...all the turtles are free, as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.”

"All ready to put up the tents for my circus.
I think I will call it the Circus McGurkus.
"And NOW comes an act of Enormous Enormance!
No former performer's performed this performance!" If I ran the Circus

“A person's a person, no matter how small.”

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”

“Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.”

“From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!”

“I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful one-hundred percent!”

“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.”

“You are you. Now, isn't that pleasant?”

 “When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles
and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles...
...they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle
bottle paddle battle.”

“Big Z, little Z, what begins with Z? I do.
I'm a zizzer zazzer zuzz, as you can plainly see.”

“All alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you'll be quite a lot!”

 “ASAP. Whatever that means. It must mean, 'Act swiftly awesome pacyderm!”

“I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.”


“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”

“Look at me!
Look at me!
Look at me NOW!
It is fun to have fun
But you have to know how.”

“And this mess is so big
And so deep and so tall,
We cannot pick it up.
There is no way at all!”

“Writing simply means no dependent clauses, no dangling things, no flashbacks, and keeping the subject near the predicate. We throw in as many fresh words we can get away with. Simple, short sentences don't always work. You have to do tricks with pacing, alternate long sentences with short, to keep it vital and alive.... Virtually every page is a cliffhanger--you've got to force them to turn it."”

“I’m glad we had the times together just to laugh and sing a song, seems like we just got started and then before you know it, the times we had together were gone.”
― Dr. Seuss

No comments: