Thursday, October 17, 2013

A transcendent Song to the Siren

"On the floating, shapeless oceans
I did all my best to smile". - Tim Buckley


A song to the siren is one of those transcendent songs that never fails to yield tantalizing mysteries within its' flowing melody and heart rending images. It has been covered by many fine singers - among them, Robert Plant, Sinead O'Conner and John Frusciante. 

It was written by a cursed dreamer, the sadly doomed Tim Buckley, father of the equally talented, equally haunted Jeff Buckley.

Below are three wonderful versions of Song to the Siren; first by the composer, Tim Buckley, appearing on The Monkees TV Show in 1968 and in an early studio version (the "puzzled oyster" lyric was replaced and enhanced by a "puzzled child", then by Liz Fraser and This Mortal Coil in 1984.


This Mortal Coil
Song to the Siren by Tim Buckley

On the floating, shapeless oceans
I did all my best to smile
til your singing eyes and fingers
drew me loving into your eyes.

And you sang "Sail to me, sail to me;
Let me enfold you."

Here I am, here I am waiting to hold you.
Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you here when I was full sail?

Now my foolish boat is leaning, broken love lost on your rocks.
For you sang, "Touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow."
Oh my heart, oh my heart shies from the sorrow.
I'm as puzzled as a newborn child.
I'm as riddled as the tide.
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Or shall I lie with death my bride?

Hear me sing: "Swim to me, swim to me, let me enfold you."
"Here I am. Here I am, waiting to hold you."

No comments: