Saturday, December 3, 2011

Ode to 06002

Forever remember. Wherever
tumbling brooks run to the river
that ancient harts once forded;
far beneath the high lined tower 
on the mountain top where Phillip the King
was crowned and caved; 

A stone’s throw away, across a mountain drive, 
around the bend, up the path, deep in the wood,
maple leaves fall upon the farms as down through the ages, 
we sat upon western cliffs gazing in wide eyed wonder
as the sinking sun dipped beneath horizons of imagination.

On the back roads, sweltering sheds sheltered tobacco. 
Acres of corn rose in the meadows alongside mountain laurel
that swayed beside daredevil hills as the herds of Peter and sons 
grazed beside Metacomet trails, while back in town 
scoops of sweet, cold cream cooled barefoot summer nights.

This is a place where flyers still sell free for all,
Where old folks park along the avenue;
where growing boys and girls shyly hide 
from the prying eyes of Filley lights, 
and little ones still chase fire flies.

This is a place where, many waning moons ago,
Town met Country and Farm met Shoppe
and all ran together; from the old blue hills
to winding Duncaster, where the roads tied together
in the all American heart of Wintonbury.

This is the centering place where once upon a lifetime ago,
a child roamed the dusty summer gloaming
crossing cracked and rusted railroad tracks,
tossing pebbles at greying ghost trains that rumbled past
fallen lumber yards, running to a place he never knew.


For those whose time in this place is gone
For those whose time there still remains
This was and is for all of us, an ever treasured city,
crested and crowned by Blooming fields.
Wherever, remember. Forever.

HL August 2011




15 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this H!! Each and every time I read it. PFH

BLOOMING BETS said...

Lots of hidden highlights in those words. We see them and cherish 06002. Bets

Anonymous said...

Really nice ode to Bloomfield. I got a little misty eyed. Thank you. BHS 1976

Unknown said...

This is home

Anonymous said...

i wached them tear down the bowlin allies-still have the first dollar-all those dramas dust in the wind-iggy marx was thier-ever hear of him-was he teary eyed like me-ahh blmfd=whereyou knew who everyone was but spoke to few marty levine-67

Harold D. Levine said...

I remember; I remember. I was too young to be allowed into the pool room and was reduced to stealing a dollars worth of dimes out of my mother's change jar so I could spend the time playing pin ball. If I ran out of dimes, I would sneak into the pool room where you were a fixture with the other older, cool cats. Everyone knew who everyone was, but we were strangers like so many children are and couldn't speak for fear of what would come out. Growing up can be a hard thing, huh?

Stinson said...

Way ta go my good man!

S. said...

True, however try to look at it from a brighter side for we all really did have it pretty easy..

Lainie Harth said...

enjoyed this so much and have a spot in my heart for bloomfield...a great place to grow up :) Lainie Harth BHS 1974

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My parents grew up in Bloomfield as did I. Remember fondly all you mention. Moore'e it lead, Wurdig's, Filley Pond. Haven't lived there since the 70's but it was a great place to grow up. Your poem is awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I moved to Bloomfield in December1965.It was an easy, carefree, safe, wholesome, great place to grow, Second Black Family on Glenwood Avenue. There were to Families on the street that were Dare I SAY Prejudice, Must Have Driven The Parents Crazy Because Their Kids Were Not. The N word I remember,being called Twice, maybe Three Times, Once A Parent,And their Oldest Child, Who Did not live At Home ,The dad Passed The prejudices To Only his oldest son,And Again, by a Five year old who has NO True Grasp Of The Word , Repeating An Adult. And This Was Early On , I Can Truthfully,and Honestly Say That Was it for Negative Racial Incidents. I Thank You For The Poem and Or To 06002, There True Is No Place Like Home

martin levine bhs 67 said...

doesnt seem the same- why was my son the only white boy in his class in 99-why did all the white folks leave-they should take that look award n shove it-even in 1960 when i went out for little league some kids pushed me into a pricker bush-go home levine they said-we dont want jews in the little league-racially ballanced what a joke






















martin levine bhs 67 said...

doesnt seem the same- why was my son the only white boy in his class in 99-why did all the white folks leave-they should take that look award n shove it-even in 1960 when i went out for little league some kids pushed me into a pricker bush-go home levine they said-we dont want jews in the little league-racially ballanced what a joke