Saturday, May 6, 2017

Leonard Bernstein's Young People's Concerts

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable". - Leonard Bernstein

When I was just a little boy, I asked my mother, "hey, Ma! What's that crazy sound pouring out of the wireless?" Here's what Ma said to me, "don't know much about mystery, but I know someone who does."

She sat me in front of the ol' Philco and there, in stunning black and white, along with millions of other lads and lassies across this land of ours, I learned that a contrabassoon could sound like a heartbeat. 
Return with me now to those thrilling days of yesteryear when the William Tell Overture meant a little bit more than that The Lone Ranger was coming to save the day.


Part 1 of 4 
Part 2 of 4
Part 3 of 4
Part 4 of 4

Wielding more than a grand baton, Bernstein was a voice of reason and passion.  

No comments: