Wednesday, January 18, 2012

His name was Ranger Andy


If you grew up in Southern New England sometime between  the late-50's and the late-60's and your family had a television set that you were allowed to watch from 4:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, you know the old codger pictured above.
  
His name was Ranger Andy and he traveled all around

And he was there to sing a song about the things he found
He sang about the mysteries of animals galore and
Hoped to tell you many things we never knew before!'
'Sing along with this song;
in the chorus we will sing it strong!
(Something, something, something,
Blah and blah and I forget…)
The song that never ends!”
TA-DA!

Then there was the Ranger's timeless gospel/soul ballad, "I Read it in The Bible," the lyrics to which shattered belief systems worldwide and helped set this scribe on a future course as a confirmed sceptic and near life-long cynic. It went like this: 

"I read it in the Bible, 
I read it in the Bible, 
I read it in the Bible, 
So I know that it's true."  

Our differences aside, I sold my first joke to the Ranger. He sent me an autographed postcard in return.
Most I ever earned for a joke.  Eventually, I lost the post card, but I remember the joke. But I ain’t tellin' ya the last time I faked my prayers and I ain’t tellin’ ya the joke.You got your secrets, I got mine.  

No comments: