Friday, December 9, 2011

Jack the Lad begs for the hickory stick

Summer 2011 Jack the Lad threw his 3rd shutout in a row, struck out 10, lowered his ERA to 1.26, raised his record to 4-1, then strode off the mound and said to me, “Dad, could you hit me now - or ever?” I considered grabbing a hickory switch and inviting him to meet me in the woodshed, but instead, confessed, “No way and never.” Then, we picked up my shattered fantasies and together rode the clouds all the way home.

Postscript: Spring 2012 New season, a new reason to believe.
Jack the Lad followed up a 6 inning 1 hit 0 run 2 walk, 10 K performance with this line last night in a CG win over Dedham last night: 7 3 1 0 7, 73 pitches, 58 strikes. 1 Earned Run in his last 21 innings and I still think I can hit him! Some people never learn.  Spring 2012

When they said hold up, he ran.
Summer 2013:  playing in the highly competitive 23 team 16U travel league, Brookline compiled a  20-4 record including  a 10 game winning streak to win their first ever league championship. The Urchin skillfully mans second base, hits .357 and runs through the coaches stop sign to score the winning run from second on a single to center in the championship game.  My boy. I think I'll keep him.

Postscript 2013 - JV
7.2 innings 3 hits no runs before an error, stolen base and another error lead to a 1-0 loss. Heck, I coulda done that! (Lost the game that is). Gutty outing, l'il Warrior

Postscript Summer 2013
Although unsuccessful in defending their championship of the previous summer,  the Brookline Bashers have concluded another fine season, finishing 19-7. Meanwhile, "The No Longer Can I Call Him Urchin" hits .494 (!) including an insane streak during which he went 22-31 and not a fluke among them. I mean, what kind of numbers are those? For the stats driven, he had a .516 on base percentage, .649 slugging percentage  while leading in virtually other every hitting category (ok, he didn't walk much). His OPS (slugging plus on base percentage) of 1.165) topped the best seasons of Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds, proving conclusively that you don't have to drink beer or juice to be an MVP. To top it off, he went 3-2 with a 1.98 ERA on the mound.
Now, when the Big Lug and the Wiry Urchin talk baseball, I sit quietly in the corner and wait for the nurse to bring my steroids so I can match their exploits before it gets too late.
Summer 2013
 
2011
Special Guest Appearance by The Big Lug



No comments: