Thursday, December 8, 2011

Reflections on Gene Pitney

When I heard the news that Gene Pitney
had drawn the last of every little breath he would take ...



When I heard the news that Gene Pitney
had drawn the last of Every little breath he would take,
I drove my rocket right to Rockville,
straight to Vernon’s reining deli

So I could sit Backstage and be lonely
before deciding that if this was the end,
I Was Gonna Be Strong and drive on away.

Yes, I was only 24 hours from Tulsa where she was dancing
but since I was a rebel who had never, ever done any good,
The wheels of my old heart were turning and I missed
the Last Taxi to Brooklyn, my Last Chance To Turn Around.

So, my Wahini and me set out for Hawaii
where I was Gonna Love My Life Way
and maybe find Just One Smile
where the pain was forgiven.

But It Hurt To Be In Love
day and night, night and day
and before I knew it
That Girl Belonged to Yesterday.

Then, before I could even say Hello Mary Lou,
and Good Bye Heart,
A stranger came from out of the west
with a law book in his hand,
And it was The Man who shot Liberty Valance (maybe)

Well, there was nothing left to do but
Ride out of that Rockville Town to the City
without Pity before the whole plain granite planet fell apart
and that’s where I finally found Mecca for me!

Good Bye Gene and Thanks!

April 2006


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're sooo sweet!!!!